Greetings, tiny home fans.

Here is the house that Rye built. The beginning of this tiny home design began with a free trailer. I had a double axle, flat bed trailer, that was a former vintage camper. Everything had been stripped away except some remaining pieces of linoleum flooring. I saw a lot of tiny home designs that built things from low cost materials, but still cost thousands of dollars to build. I wanted to see if I could use all recycled or upcycled materials, similar to the Earthship design.

I wanted to make the shape aerodynamic, and I was inspired by the space and shape of Airstream trailers. My first idea was to build a “geodesic twinkie,” that had octagonal geodesic front and back caps. I quickly realized that I wasn’t going to be driving it very fast in reverse, so I really only needed a geodesic front. I measured the width of the trailer at 7.8 feet wide, and calculated the diameter of the geodesic shape that would fit.  The online calculator I used: https://www.simplydifferently.org/Geodesic_Dome_Notes?page=6#The%20Octahedron

It ended up being 35 inches for the length of the “struts” and so each piece could be cut from a standard 36″ or 48″ pallet. I then took apart 12 pallets, to make all of the new custom size frames. This was the most time consuming part of the project. Using a hammer and crowbar to take apart all of the pallets. Once I built the 48″ high (size of most Standard pallets) by 35″ wide frames and screwed them together, I built the octahedron geodesic on top of the 4ft high frames. At first I tried constructing the geodesic on the ground, and lifting it into place, which was much too difficult to handle. My second attempt of building the archway first, then the front part, and was far more successful, and led me to my next revelation.

The remaining 12 pallets were all cut down to 35″ lengths at an angle of 22.5 degrees (Both ends). So that when joined together, they formed a 45 degree angle of two pallets with 22.5 degree ends. The Pallets were then strapped together with metal or wood joiners. The two pallets at 45 degrees were then lifted into place (having other people is a great help at this point). The pallets were then screwed to the roof beam and the base frames to form the Gambrel pallet roof. Almost all of the $50 cost was in new self tapping deck screws.

Close Menu